Monday, May 21, 2007

Victor Gischler

Steve Allan recently interviewed Victor Gischler at Noir Writer.

Part of the interview:

Noir Writer: Criminologist Lonnie Athens has stated that people who have never experienced violence should not write about it. He was talking about sociological studies, but I think he would extend that to crime fiction as well. Do you think his statement is true or is he full of shit?

Gischler: Oh ... probably full of shit. Speaking just for myself, the violence in my novels has a pulp cartoon quality. I think there are times when imagination trumps experience. Other authors can successfully transfer their experiences to the page. I respect that, but it's not where I live.
Read the entire interview.

The Page 69 Test: Victor Gischler's Shotgun Opera.

--Marshal Zeringue