Thursday, June 19, 2008

Dave White

For The Rap Sheet, Jim Winter interviewed Dave White, author of When One Man Dies and The Evil That Men Do.

Part of the interview:

Jim Winter: You’ve now got one book under your belt, with the second one coming out. How does that feel?

Dave White: It feels good. The first book had such a lead-up, and the two months before it came out, I was out of school and thinking about it non-stop. This one is kind of sneaking up on me, as I used the school year to keep my mind off of it. I’m glad it’s coming out in the summertime so I can really take time to enjoy the release.

JW: You went in a completely different direction with the narrative in The Evil That Men Do. Tell me how that came about.

DW: I didn’t want to write the same book. Jackson Donne is a different character in this book, and I felt I needed to take a different direction. He’s no longer a P.I., he’s just kind of pulled into this family drama. I didn’t feel like I could tell a complete story from just his point of view. We needed to know about each member of the Donne family from their point of view. This isn’t a Jackson Donne novel so much as a story of the Donne family.

JW: You also have an interesting subplot taking place back in the 1930s. Was that the impetus for the story, or did that evolve as you fleshed out the novel? [read on]
Visit Dave White's website and his blog.

The Page 69 Test: When One Man Dies.

--Marshal Zeringue