Monday, May 10, 2010

Amy Bloom

Amy Bloom's novels include Love Invents Us, which examines the force of love in human relationships, and Away, a romantic epic about a young Russian immigrant to the US. Bloom teaches creative writing at Yale University.

From her Q & A with Anna Metcalfe for the Financial Times:

Which literary character most resembles you?

Undoubtedly it’s one I’ve created. But when I was a little girl I thought I was Sydney Carton in Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. I don’t think anyone else did.

When were you happiest?

Now. If I could conflate my life now with my life raising my kids when they were young, that would be it.

What book do you wish you’d written?

There are two trilogies I admire: Robertson Davies’s The Deptford Trilogy and Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials.
Read the complete Q & A.

--Marshal Zeringue