Monday, July 5, 2010

Christopher Hitchens

Christopher Hitchens's new book is the memoir, Hitch 22.

From his Q & A with Alexandra Alter for the Wall Street Journal:

The Wall Street Journal: Why did you decide to write a memoir now?

Christopher Hitchens: It was reading about my own death and thinking, that dissolves the old question for me, "Isn't it a bit soon?" People my age and even younger have written books of reminiscences…I thought, of course it had to be done too soon, because it can't be done too late.

The memoir mainly focuses on other people who have had prominent roles in your life, or ideas that have shaped you. Why did you structure it this way?

I didn't want it to be an autobiography. I haven't overcome all my reticence. That's why I put in the "Something of Myself" chapter. I didn't think they'd want to read about my internal life and all my brave thoughts.

What is the most revealing thing you've included about yourself that people didn't know before?

Probably insecurity. I think I write in a fairly self-confident manner. I usually am pretty sure of what I want to say and what...[read on]
See--Christopher Hitchens' six best books.

--Marshal Zeringue