Saturday, August 21, 2010

Precious Williams

Precious Williams is a journalist based in London. She has written for the Telegraph, the Times, Elle, Glamour, and the New York Post. Her new memoir is Color Blind.

From her Q & A with Arifa Akbar for the Independent:

Choose a favourite writer and say why you like him/her

Charles Dickens, because I was brought up on him. In my foster home, there were only four adult books so I read him at a young age, and fell in love with his writing - the grotesqueness of some of his characters. I found it so captivating.

* * *
Which fictional character most resembles you?

Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz; as a child, I even had a little dog like Toto. I have that wide-eyed approach to the world.

* * *
Who is your hero/heroine from outside literature?

One of my creative icons is Marvin Gaye, who continued making amazing music even when his personal life was in total disarray, when he was a drug addict, an alcoholic and being chased by debt collectors.
Read the complete Q & A.

--Marshal Zeringue