Friday, November 22, 2013

Rose Mannering

G. R. Mannering is an English writer and international author. She signed up with literary agency Creative Authors when she was eighteen and secured her first UK publishing deal when she was nineteen.

From a Q & A about her first fantasy novel Roses, with Helen Douglas:

ROSES is inspired by Beauty and the Beast. Can you tell us what attracted you to that fairy tale and about the genesis of the book?

I have an obsession with fairy tales. I think it started with Disney and ballet (Swan Lake & Sleeping Beauty) when I was very young and then moved into Angela Carter and Grimm’s tales as I grew up. I love the challenge of changing and moulding the original story and making it into something completely new.

Beauty and the Beast has always been one of my favourites because I think it’s the most believable fairy tale. ‘A beast and an enchanted castle believable?’ Okay, well maybe not that part, but I’ve always had a problems with the whole love at first sight thing. I think Beauty and the Beast has the most realistic depiction of love of all the fairy tales – a love that grows over time as two people get to know one another.

The book is set in a richly imagined magical world. Can you tell us a bit about Pevorocco and how you approached world-building?

One of my favourite things about reading fantasy novels is diving into...[read on]
Learn more about the book and author at G. R. Mannering's website, blog, Facebook page and Twitter perch.

My Book, The Movie: Roses.

--Marshal Zeringue