Thursday, February 20, 2014

Tara Ellison

Tara Ellison was born in London and raised between Sydney and Hong Kong before coming to the United States.

After enduring her own “miserable divorce” and the ensuing malaise, she realized that what she needed most was a good laugh. She turned to her passion for writing and began work on Synchronized Breathing. It is her hope that other ladies enduring trying times might get a kick out of Scarlett’s missteps on the path to love – and share a laugh along the way.

Ellison is married and lives in Los Angeles, California. Synchronized Breathing is her first novel.

A brief Q & A with the author:

How would you complete this line: "You might well enjoy my book if you like..."?

You might well enjoy my book if you like… Bridget Jones or if those old reruns of Sex in the City still make you laugh. Movies and books about dating mishaps have always grabbed my attention and everyone can relate to a romance derailing or a bad break-up. When I decided to write Synchronized Breathing (the story of a marriage imploding and one woman’s disastrous efforts to get back in the dating game), I knew exactly the tone and flavor I was looking for. Fun, with a racy edge.

If they make your book into a movie, who should direct it?

If they make Synchronized Breathing into a movie … Judd Apatow or Jay Roach would want to direct it. (Yes, let’s just put that out there. I aim high, people!) Judd Apatow is a big supporter of women being funny on film. He also knows how to fully exploit the comedic potential in dating, which makes him a natural match for Synchronized Breathing. And what can I say about Jay Roach? He is sublime. Who can forget Austin Powers or Meet the Parents? What a talent. Fun Fact: I used to work for his wife as an assistant many years ago. You’d think that would embolden me to send the book to him, but alas, so far I have not worked up the nerve.

What is your second favorite art form?

My second favorite art form is…film! This is a no-brainer. I fell in love with American movies when I was a child living in Sydney, Australia. Star Wars changed my life! I became obsessed with coming to the U.S. and pursuing an acting career, which I did for a long time until I found that writing held more allure for me. Getting lost in a bookstore or absorbed in a movie for a few hours is heaven to me. I find tremendous comfort in watching films. When I feel blue, I can disappear into a movie and forget about my problems for two hours. What could be better? Well, second only to a good book, but sometimes you want to be passive and have someone else do all the creative work for you (and not have to do the internal work of reading). But luckily we don’t have to choose one or the other.

I’ve also always loved to dance. Dancing is a very primal way of telling a story. The way I look at it, writing, dancing and films are all branches of the same (creative) tree. Telling a story in any number of forms is what hooks me.
Visit Tara Ellison's website, Facebook page, and Twitter perch.

--Marshal Zeringue