Friday, June 16, 2017

Hena Khan

Hena Khan's new novel for kids is Amina's Voice. From the author's Q&A with Deborah Kalb:

Q: How did you come up for the idea for Amina’s Voice, and for your main character, Amina?

A: I wanted to write a middle grade novel that featured a Pakistani-American Muslim girl but focused on universal themes like friendship, dealing with change, and finding confidence.

Amina is a shy girl trying to find her voice, both literally and figuratively, and in many ways she represents parts of my own personality when I was that age.

I think there are a lot of stories out there nowadays with female protagonists who are outspoken, confident, go-getters and while I think they are important role models, it’s important for the quieter girls...[read on]
Visit Hena Khan's website.

--Marshal Zeringue