Saturday, April 7, 2018

Kiley Roache

Kiley Roache's new novel is Frat Girl.

From her Q&A with Kate Chesley for the Stanford Report:

Where did the inspiration for Frat Girl come from? How much did you draw from the Stanford experience?

The initial idea for Frat Girl came about when a male friend from my freshman dorm jokingly bet me $50 dollars to rush a fraternity. Although I did not end up taking him up on this, I started thinking about what that experience would be like for the first woman to join such a traditionally masculine group.

The book is set at a fictional school called Warren University, and while I share some similarities with the main character, Cassie Davis, there are also many ways we are different. The characters, setting and plot of the story are all made up.

However, I would say that the emotional truth of the story is based on my experience at Stanford. Like the characters in the book, throughout college I have made deep friendships, fallen in love, taken intellectually exhilarating classes, been encouraged by rock star mentors and found my true self. I think that the emotions I have felt and the lessons I have learned throughout Stanford are reflected in the book, and I...[read on]
Visit Kiley Roache's website.

--Marshal Zeringue